When you vacation at a resort, everything from spa days to late-night entertainment is at your fingertips. Parents can even take advantage of a kids’ club or nanny services.
But is using a resort babysitter safe?
Every resort is different
There is no industry standard for resort nannies. At some resorts, these individuals are vetted, trained and highly qualified. At others, they are simply relatives of others working there, chosen because they have free time and would like to earn extra money. This translates to a high variance in safety, security and quality.
Childcare expectations vary across cultures
When traveling abroad, keep in mind that every culture has its quirks when it comes to childcare. If the resort you are staying at caters to Western clients, then their nannies might not present any surprises, but you can’t be sure until you try it. As a family, are you up for this little cultural adventure or would you rather play it safe?
Precautions to take
If you have a trip coming up and want to get in some adult-only free time, using a resort nanny may be your only option. Here are some tips to make the setup work for you:
Speak to the concierge arranging the nanny about how they vet their nannies and what qualifications they must have.
- Ask to interview the nanny briefly at least a day before they will watch the child.
- Go over you expectations with the nanny.
- Cover any elements of care that are key to your child’s routine.
- Ask for them to repeat instructions back to you as a precaution against mistranslations and misunderstandings.
- Schedule so that minimal care is needed — such as during nap times or after bed.
- Arrange a way to be in contact with the nanny while you are away.
- If you feel uncomfortable, do not use the service.
As an alternative to a resort service, touristy areas may have independent nanny services that you can contact. These businesses tend to be stricter in their hiring practices and are easier to find reviews on, giving you greater peace of mind.
Whatever you choose to do, be sure to have a traveler’s insurance policy on all members of your family.